Friday, April 4, 2008

Hugs from a resident

I'm amazed by things that happen at work. Actually, I'm amazed at most things, most of the time. But that's another story.

We have a resident who isn't able to communicate any longer. He spends all his time in bed or in his geri-chair. He will often try to grab and hold on to anyone and anything that comes close to him. Getting him to let go of you is a challenge.

The other day I was helping to dress him for dinner. After we got him settled and ready to go, he held his arms out. I thought, "Oh, what the hell" and I hugged him.

Know what I got for my efforts? A hug and several kisses.

I don't know who he thought I was. But it was worth going to work that day just for that.

There's also another centurian gentleman who hasn't spoken much since he arrived. The last time I helped him onto the commode, he just started talking to me. It made my day.

One lady apologized to me for being short with me. I told her she didn't need to apologize, that she was hurting and I wasn't moving fast enough. Still, it was nice to hear.

Each day something happens that makes me want to go back the next day.

No comments: