Sunday, September 20, 2009

WWRXT*

*What Would Resident X Think?

Whenever I'm making a change in my appearance, wardrobe or routine at work, I always try to see it from Resident X's point of view. Resident X is my benchmark. If I think they won't be able to handle the change, I seriously reconsider my position.

Resident X is my most difficult patient. They have severe dementia with behavioral outbursts. They don't like new staff or residents. They don't like being told what to do. They don't want anyone doing anything they don't approve of first. If the weather's bad or the moon is full or they're sick, their world rocks and crumbles.

For example, I'm planning on getting new glasses soon. Some of the chunky new styles are cute, but I will probably stick with simple wire frames just because I don't want Resident X to think I'm someone new. It took me nearly nine months to get them to recognize me on a daily basis. I don't want to have to start over.

Is it extreme? Yes. Does it make my work life easier? Definitely yes. If Resident X can handle the change, everyone else will be perfectly fine with it. It can mean the difference between a good day and a day where I'm trying to push water uphill for eight hours. I'm happer when those days were few and far between. And so are my residents.

No comments: