Sunday, July 10, 2011

It's a Zen Thing

Last night at work it occurred to me that working in a nursing home is very Zen. From the little I've read, they talk about detaching yourself from expectation. So, you should work, but you should work without expectation of result.

So, just because you've taken Mrs. A to the bathroom, brushed her dentures, brushed her hair, helped her wash her face, put lotion on her hands, helped her to bed, adjusted the pillows, bed and blankets until she's comfortable, you shouldn't expect her to stay there.

5 comments:

Tony Sexton, Site Administrator said...

Just found your articles today, very much enjoy reading from a CNA's perspective. The success of a facility largely rests on the shoulders of our direct-care givers and I respect and honor all our employees in Long-Term Care!

thank you for all you do!!
-tony
http://midwestsenioradvocacy.blogspot.com/

K. Tree said...

Thank you and thanks for visiting.

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

I'm glad Tony found your blog. He is a huge advocate of CNA's, as an administrator and chaplain for nursing homes.

I love your stories too. I think you should start sorting out the best stories and get them published. They are unique!!!

Doris

C said...

Yes! I read a similar comment in Lauren Kessler's book "Dancing with Rose." Her book reminds me of your blog, or vice versa. I don't know. I truly enjoy you both. Thank you for sharing!

K. Tree said...

Thanks for stopping by.