Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Alzheimer's Patient's Bill of Rights

I found this today on Nursing Assistants dot net (I have a link to them under my "Good Stuff" column.)

Alzheimer's Disease Bill of Rights
  • To be informed of one's diagnosis.
  • To have appropriate, ongoing medical care.
  • To be productive in work and play as long as possible.
  • To be treated like an adult, not a child.
  • To have expressed feelings taken seriously.
  • To be free from psychotropic medications if at all possible.
  • To live in a safe, structured, and predictable environment.
  • To enjoy meaningful activities to fill each day.
  • To be out of doors on a regular basis.
  • To have physical contact, including hugging, caressing, and hand holding.
  • To be with persons who know one's life story, including cultural and religious traditions.
  • To be cared for by persons well trained in dementia care.

Source: "The Best Friends Approach to Alzheimer's Care", Virginia Bell and David Troxel, Health Profession Press, 1997 http://bestfriendsapproach.com/index.php

I'll be looking for this book at my library. If I really like it, I'll buy myself a copy.

No comments: