Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Bonus

I occasionally get residents who want to pay me for my services. I turn them down and explain that I already get paid. This usually gets me something along the lines of "it's not enough for what you do".

I call shenanigans.

No one does this kind of work because they want to get rich. Yes, we're trying to support ourselves and our families, but generally we do this because we get some kind of joy out of it. If we didn't, no amount of money would be enough.

I don't need a bonus. Unless they can convince my co-workers to show up when they're scheduled. That I'd take in a heartbeat.

1 comment:

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Sometimes I think that if I were a nursing home resident, I'd be tipping the housekeeper, aides and nurses... that would be the least I could do :-)) Seriously, I feel excited when residents voice appreciation for what staff does for them.

Doris