Saturday, September 27, 2008

Stress at the Rest Home?

Seems to me that Nursing Homes were once called Rest Homes. Maybe they still are. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has ever worked at one feels that this is a misnomer. There isn't anyone at a Rest Home who is actually resting.

My stress level has gone so high that my migraines are increasing and this morning my stomach is hurting so bad that I'm seriously thinking about going to the doctor to get something stronger than OTC meds for it.

Knowing what work is like, I'm going to try a few changes starting today to reduce my stress level:
  • Taking two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty minute break is often impossible. (We were short again last night. I sat down for seven minutes all night.) What I'm going to try to do (which the smokers have perfected) is taking a five minute break once an hour. And I'm going to go somewhere peaceful to do it. Doesn't matter if it's the courtyard or the bathroom, I'm going to go.
  • Drink more water and less coffee.
  • Take fifteen minutes to eat either while everyone is at supper or after everyone is settled after supper.
  • When I get stressed, I'm going to smile. They say they act of smiling actually does make you feel better.
  • If I get a chance to take normal breaks, I'm taking them. Sitting on the hall watching for lights does not count as a normal break.
  • I'm working on adjusting my diet anyway, so eating healthier at work is a good goal. Candy bars and pop are not good stress reducers. In fact, they just make more stress.

If any of this actually works, I'll let you know.

No comments: