Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What do you say to that?

If a resident who is in extreme pain expresses a wish to end it all, how can you argue with that? Hell, I wish they'd either die or instantly get better, too. Watching someone suffer like that, even someone you don't know personally, is the most awful thing aside from experiencing the pain yourself.

So what did I say yesterday? "Oh," in a tone that meant, "You don't really want to do that." I didn't think it through, it just came out. And it wasn't the right thing to say. Now that I've had time to mull it over, I could have said somethings that were better than what I said.

I could have said, "I'll bet you do. It must be awful to hurt like you do." I could have said, "Healing is the hardest thing your body has to do. It will hurt but it will also eventually get better." I could have said, "Yes, I wish for that, too, sometimes. After I die, me and God are gonna have words and most of mine are going to start with 'f'."

If I could have one new talent, right now, it would be the ability to think quickly and SILENTLY before I spoke.

No comments: