Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lost my temper...

...with a resident. Ugh.

I'll bet I couldn't even fill one hand with the times I've lost my temper with a resident. With my co-workers, it's at least once every three or four days, but not with my residents.

All I did was raise my voice. I didn't swear, call her names, or anything awful. When all was said and done, she thanked me for taking care of her, but here I am, days later, still feeling like a big jerk.

I've treated members of my family worse with little or no remorse afterward.

I know when I go back to work tomorrow, she won't even remember me, much less the incident, but it doesn't really make me feel better.

I did confess to my charge nurse. At least if it comes up, I can say I told on myself.

Looking back, I should have just walked away, let her do what she was going to do and then cleaned up the mess afterward. That was what ended up happening anyway and I could be sitting here guilt-free instead of beating myself up.

Add this to the "live and learn" file.

No comments: