Sunday, March 29, 2009

O/T Winter Storm in Spring

They had been talking about it for days. Frankly, I thought they were full of beans. There's no way we were going to get 6-12 inches of snow. It's been running about 70 degrees for days and the nights have been warm enough to leave the heaters off.

Shows you what I know.

Friday morning around four, it started thundering and lightning. Then a couple spits of rain. Then a couple spits of hail. Then it sounded like someone was throwing hundreds of golf balls at the house. This lasted a good five minutes. Now, I know hail. I have never experienced hail that lasted more than a minute or two. When it started to slow down, I looked outside. The ground was covered like it had snowed already.

Nothing but clouds and wind all day. Then, it started sleeting at about four in the afternoon. Then big snow flakes blowing sideways. We all made it home from work OK, though they did close the grocery store at eight instead of staying open all night as usual.

Thank goodness I didn't have to go to work on Saturday. The guys had to work at eleven. The wind was so strong, the snow was still blowing sideways. I don't know what our official number was, but it looked darn close to six inches of snow including the hail that was left over from the previous morning.

Today, the snow is half melted. Unfortunately, it looks like someone tried to rip all the leaves off the trees. Poor things, they're just shredded and the ground is littered with little pieces of green confetti.

It's supposed to be 70 tomorrow. I imagine the only remnants will be the mud and the leaf confetti by the time I get home from work tomorrow night.

No comments: