Saturday, October 2, 2010

Attitude is Everything

The attitude you bring with you determines the outcome of your day. You can't control what happens, but you can control how you react to what happens.

Case in point: When a nurse comes up to me and ask "Did you take care of so and so today?" my first reaction is to cringe and ask what I did wrong. I freely admit that I often go with my first reaction instead of just smiling and saying "Yes." More than half the time, they are trying to pass on a resident or family compliment. Yet, I still think that every question that starts with "Did you...?" is going to end up with a reprimand. I think that we are conditioned to feel that crap rolls downhill and, as CNA's, we're at the bottom of the valley.

Do you think that for one day we could go to work with an open mind, a clear conscience, and a brave heart and see what happens? Could we do it for half a shift? Heck, maybe just the first two hours or the two hours during the shift when we feel we're at our best? And if we could, would it make us want to come in with this attitude all the time instead of the attitude of the already defeated warrior expecting more beatings the farther they travel?

It's worth a try. Sometimes we get the treatment that we act like we deserve even if we truly deserve much better.

No comments: