Monday, January 17, 2011

Fighting Dehydration

One of the hardest things to do is to get my ladies to drink enough. I try to get them to take a full glass of water with their meds and they have big mugs of ice water in their rooms. Some of them do OK on their own, but most of them need to be encouraged to drink.

And they don't like water.

I don't either. Give me a choice, and I'll pick something flavored every time: tea, coffee, milk, juice, pop. Water is strictly utilitarian and I only drink it because I "have to".

I've started offering a couple of them juice with their medications. I'm also trying to take time to sit with the ones who can't hold a glass well and get them to drink while I talk with them. Sometimes I'll take break with one of them and bring them coffee or tea to drink while we're chatting. Unfortunately, these are more the exception than the rule, but every ounce helps, right?

No comments: