Sunday, April 20, 2008

Full Moon Fever

My understanding is that the moon affects us for three days while waxing to full and then also for three days while waning from full.

Allow me to add my hand to those upraised with anecdotal evidence.

Every day I have worked since Thursday has been wrong. Last night was no better. From the time I got on shift, I was running to answer lights. Usually this happens when there's been an activity that's just ending or if they are starting one just as we come on shift. Yesterday, there was nothing going on. Then at about five o'clock, there were ten full minutes where no one in the entire place was on their light. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone.

Our residents with dementia were more combative than usual. One of the ladies was angry with me because she had pulled her emergency light in the bathroom and I came in to turn it off. Mind you, I always knock before entering their rooms and explain why I'm there, but she was angry anyway.

Another of the residents has been getting up out of her wheelchair when she can't really walk without falling. We tried putting her in the walker so she could wander around safely and she immediately tried climbing out of it.

Also, our residents with chronic pain have been suffering more than usual and the pain medication isn't working as well.

Geez. I hope I only have to work one shift tonight. I can only imagine what it would be like working a double under these conditions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Full moon madness- that's what I used to call it on the dementia unit. And that is exactly what it was.

The residents changed every time the full moon came out and we aides KNEW the moon phase was coming. Kind of like that PMS thing, LOL!

MH said...

ugh. I didn't believe in the power of the full moon until I saw it myself as a CNA. someone wrote on our communication board "Full moon this weekend, BEWARE!" This weekend has been horrid at my place too. more tears, more starange turns for the worst, more bickering between residents. and just think.. it'll slow down long enouh for us to enjoy it before it rolls around again next month!!