Friday, July 4, 2008

How quickly things change

I know that 48 hours can be long or short depending on what you're doing during that time. But, honestly, after 2 days off of work, I am amazed at how many things have changed. New admits, folks who have gone to the hospital or gone home, folks who have gone from sick to well or vice versa, folks who have passed on.

The essentials never change: still have to get them to and from meals, give baths and put folks to bed at the end of the night. But the dynamic of my nights change depending on who's there and how they're feeling. I may get baths done earlier if I don't have to spend 20 minutes convincing Ms. Ma'am that she needs a shower or it may take all night to get through 5 residents vital signs if I am taking care of someone who needs to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes. It's all about being flexible and not getting upset with myself if I don't get it all done.

Never a dull moment.

No comments: