Sunday, January 18, 2009

There's more to it than that.

So, it's not just the full moon and the wild weather that makes people more demented than usual. Last night we had several folks request their "nerve pills". We had folks refusing their meds that they normally take. I had one woman standing out in the hallway in her brassiere. I don't know what the deal was, but I was glad to get home.

Senior citizens are a lot like children under the age of six. They are more sensitive to the world around them than I am. I'm so busy thinking of what I have to do next and next and next that I don't sense the little changes in atmosphere that they do. And I don't just mean weather and the position of the planets. Even the combination of staff working during a shift can make a difference in the resident's moods. If the crew is working well together, it seems to keep the residents calm and more pain free.

I imagine there are other factors that contribute to a wild night. It's a bummer that we can't just look up the weather and moon phase for an indication of what the shift will be like.

No comments: