Thursday, January 29, 2009

"I don't know if I can sleep in there."

We had a resident pass away in their room recently. For the first couple nights after the death, the resident's roommate was fine. Then they told me they were worried about sleeping in the room.

I agreed with them that it was a little strange knowing that someone had died in their room. I didn't really know what else to do besides sympathize. Honestly, I found it kind of odd since all of our residents are Christians and I didn't think they worried about these kinds of things. I mean, don't they believe that the person is "with Jesus" and therefore can't bother them?

Frankly, we should have moved the sick resident to the Hospice Room when we knew they were going to pass. That would have alleviated the problem altogether. Still, I wonder what I could have said to make the roommate feel better.

No comments: